Saturday, January 17, 2009

Browsing....

I have recently started liking google chrome. It is much better in terms of response as compared to traditional IE flavours. I also have an iPod Touch and I want google chrome for iPod touch also. I was searching for it and suddenly went into the memory lane

1999:-
It was the first time I came across the 3 Ws (World Wide Web). It was sometime in around Jun-July. I experienced how do web pages look like. And i can not forget it either. Because we started connecting using a dial-up modem probably around 9 PM or so and we could connect only after trying for almost a couple of hours. The download was so fantastic that we could get the first page only in 5 minutes (I guess it was Yahoo's Home Page). Too much patience we had...

It was the same year I created my first email id on rediff.com. It was psujay99@rediffmail.com :-)

2000:-
It was my second year of engineering. And I came to know one of these weirdest browsers. A text based browser on Unix operating system (Yes... yes... a text based browser, i know it is hard to believe but ya its true). The browser called Lynx. 


It was fun working on the browser. Mouse was useless in this browser. It was all keyboard show. But that actually helped me. Keyboard usage is more productive than mouse usage. 

2001:-
After going through pain of text browser (ya its pain sometimes..) I got to see the GUI version of web browser, I think it was IE 4.0 or 5.0. And it was my third year of engineering.

2006:-
Thing did not changed so much but in this year I got exposed to multi-tab browser e.g. Mozilla FireFox. It was quite faster than IE and the multi tab feature kept the things very tidy.

2007:-
Again nothing much changed but I went to US and I experienced some of the fastest Internets ever. I mean if I wanted to watch a charismatic Tendulkar Innings or some episode of laughter show uploaded on YouTube in India, it was next to impossible. The video streaming was an impossible thing. However I could watch India beating Australia in Australia or IPL final or T20 final live on Internet in US.

2008:-
And then came a moment when i bought iPod touch. And I was online using the palm top. When I was coming back from on site, I had a stop in Dubai and then I used the free Wi-Fi on Dubai Airport to log onto google talk and chat with my family. It was a unforgettable moment. I know Wi-Fi came on scene quite earlier, and I was quite late to use it, still it was a fascinating moment. 

Well, I started in 2009 and went down the memory lane. I am again back in 2009.

People keep on talking about evolutions of thousands of types. It's a nice feeling that I am witnessing one. :-)

See you next time. Till then Keep Browsing

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sujay,
Very well put...

KeepingItSimple said...

Same thoughts Here !!! But some of the improvements in browsers and browser experience never fail to surprise.
Multitouch Zoom on iPod Touch/iPhone is AWESOME !!!